03.04.2007

Shell Beach





3.04.07

Today I didn’t turn to the hills but continued to the very end of the white sandy beach of Traigh na Beerie. Here I crossed over the machair to a small beach, full of a variety of shells, and therefore called Shell beach. It was very low tide and I found a lot of empty, broken muirsgen or razorfish shells, a delicacy I never tasted myself. I believe you have to be born and bred on the Islands to catch this shellfish. It requires patience and knowledge where to find it- and once you have found one you need to be very quick as the shellfish disappears immediately in the sands and will not be seen again...On the upper parts of the shore lies a lot of seaweed, left there by strong winter waves. Its drying and bleaching there along with the shells of seaurchins.

The postman handed me today a leavelet for a prizedraw for a mediterranean holiday- why should I wish to swoop my Hebridean beaches?

Heute bog ich nicht vorzeitig ab, sondern wanderte ich bis ans Ende des weißen Sandstrandes Traigh na Beerie. Ein kurzer Weg über die „Machair“ führt hier zum Shell Beach, der seinen Namen durch die Vielzahl der angeschwemmten Muscheln wohl verdient. Bei Ebbe fand ich viele „muirsgan“, eine Muschelart, die wie ein Rasiermesser aussieht. Um sie lebend zu fangen, bedarf es einiger Erfahrung und Geduld. Wenn man die lebende Muschel aufgefunden hat, muss man sofort zugreifen, denn sie gräbt sich in Windeseile in den Sand ein und ist unauffindbar. Auf den höhergelegenen Teilen des Strandes liegt viel durch die Winterstürme angeschwemmter Seetang, der dort zusammen mit Seeigeln und weiterem Strandgut trocknet und bleicht.

Der Postbote hat mir ein Preisrätsel für Ferien am Mittelmeer überreicht. Warum sollte ich meine Hebriden-Strände dafür tauschen?