24.12.2006






16.12. Today I went to STORNOWAY on the Postbus. Unless I meet up with somebody I tend to do my messages as quick as possible and return home at midday. I managed within an hour and half to buy a Camping light - an electrical gadget which will come in handy when we get the next powercut - to take three books out of the local Library, and also to do my first big Xmas grocery-shopping at the Coop. You have to be very smart as you do not know how long it will take at the checkout. Next week it will be more difficult, when people are filling up their trolleys as if they would never be able to shop again and are also blocking the aisles of the supermarket. The bus was full of parcels and mail and only with great difficulties I was able to squeeze in with 4 other passengers. There were showers on and off all day. At midday the sun came out so I was itching to go for a walk. By the time I had my messages stored away it looked pretty dark at the back of the house so I took the road to REEF beach. I had avoided the beautiful mile-long beach all summer as it was very busy this year with campers and tourists alike. When I was past KNEEP at the top of the road I got caught in a shower but just carried on. I knew from experience that the showers don’t last forever and that you get the most rewarding views once they clear away. The light after a short shower is always special, and the way it reflects in the water and multicolours the majestic clouds is just stunning.

Heute ging es mit dem Postbus nach STORNOWAY. Wenn ich mich nicht mit jemandem treffe, versuche ich meine Ausflüge in die 56 km entfernte Hauptstadt der Insel Lewis kurz zu halten, um möglichst um Mittag wieder zurück zu sein. In 1 1/2 Stunden habe ich eine Campinglampe gekauft, Bücher aus der örtlichen Bücherei entliehen und meinen ersten weihnachtlichen Grosseinkauf getätigt. Die Zeit, die man im Supermarkt verbringt ist vor Weihnachten schwer abzuschätzen. Die Schlangen an den Kassen sind groß und die Wägen, die so voll gefüllt sind, als ob es demnächst nichts mehr zu kaufen gäbe, blockieren die Gänge. Ich erreichte gerade noch den Bus, der auf der Rückfahrt so vollgepackt mit Post, Paketen, Zeitungen und einem Tannenbaum war, dass ich nur mit größeren Schwierigkeiten einen Platz ergattern konnte. Es regnete immer wieder kurz, am Nachmittag kam sogar die Sonne zum Vorschein. Als ich meine Einkäufe verstaut und einen Bissen gegessen hatte, entschloss ich mich nach REEF aufzumachen. Kurz vor der Anhöhe, die zum Strand führt, der im Sommer von Touristen überlaufen ist, holte mich der Regen ein. Aus Erfahrung weiß ich, dass nach kurzen Schauern das Licht besonders eindrucksvoll sich im Wasser spiegelt und die majestätischen Wolken wunderbar bunt färbt. Heute hatte ich den herrlichen, kilometerlangen Strand für mich ganz allein.

Keine Kommentare: